First of all, congratulations on your pregnancy! What an incredible adventure and journey! I truly can't imagine how excited you and your family are to meet your precious baby.
Having a doula by your side will indeed help you improve your birth experience. But, as much as we all (the doulas) are looking forward to be by your side, this story is only about you. So, it is very important to find the right fit. Therefore, I highly advise that you and your partner interview a few doulas before making a decision. Here are some important questions that will help you find the best fit for your baby and you.
So, questions to ask:
- Why did you become a doula? What is your doula philosophy?
- Where did you receive your training and from which organization?
- What is your fee, and what does it include? How many visits or hours?
- Are there any time limits or added fees if I have an unexpectedly long labor?
- Do you have a backup doula? Can I meet them ahead of time? How did you choose your backup doula?
- What techniques will you use to help me move through labor?
- How would you work with and involve my partner?
- Will we meet again to address any concerns or questions I have and to review our birth plan?
- Are phone, email and text support available before and after the birth?
- If we decide to hire you, what are our next steps?
Finally, it is also very important that after an interview, you and your partner sit down and try to imagine the big day. Imagine the doula at the birth with you and check how you feel about it. Remember, this is only about your baby and you. And, for example, ask yourself: Do I feel comfortable around this person?
Is she warm, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable?
Does she communicate and listen well?
Will she support my choices?
"Giving birth and being born brings us into the essence of creation, where the human spirit is courageous and bold and the body,
a miracle of wisdom.”
– Harriette Hartigan